Spotlight on the Digital was a two-phase project (June 2013-May 2018) which Jisc ran in collaboration with RLUK and SCONUL as part of the Jisc co-design programme. The project investigated the challenges of discovery of digitised collections and provided some practical solutions that would support Higher Education (HE) institutions enhance the discoverability of their digitised collections for the benefit of key audiences, particularly researchers, teachers and students.
Phase one carried out extensive research into online user behaviours and the on-going discoverability/online presence of 15 years of publicly funded programmes.
Phase one outputs:
- Improving discoverability of digitised collections: above campus and national solutions report
- Literature review on online user behaviours in resource discovery, compiled from studies and reports published in the last 5 years
- Web-based assessment of the discoverability of a sample of 177 digitised resources from major publicly funded programmes such as the New Opportunities Fund, the AHRC resource Enhancement programme and a variety of Jisc digitisation and content programmes.
- Web assessment report: Web Assessment Summary Report – Final
- Web assessment data spreadsheet: All SOTD Manual Tests – 177 LIVE_Final
- Online survey with UK Higher Education libraries: 131220 Spotlight Survey Summary_anonymised
- Prototype online guide ‘Make your digital resources easier to discover’
Phase two (September 2014-May 2018) leveraged the outputs of phase one to provide practical solutions to institutions seeking to maximise their online resource discovery.
Phase two outputs:
- ‘Making your digital collections easier to discover’ training workshops supporting resource discovery activities in higher education and GLAMs (galleries, libraries, archives and museums)
- Regularly updated ‘Making your digital collections easier to discover’ online guide, including case studies on resource discovery in action
- Collaborative project with Archives Hub to create online resource descriptions for digitised collections
- Collaborative project with NBK (formerly Copac) to ingest records from Historical Texts and the UK medical heritage library
To read more on the ‘Spotlight on the digital’ project, search for the category #spotlight in this blog.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the project