With increasing pressures on budgets librarians must make hard choices about the content they purchase to enrich learning, teaching and research. The group purchasing scheme – which has saved members £458,000, to date – works on a very simple principle – the more products collectively purchased, the higher the discount granted to all institutions who participate. The scheme takes out the need to negotiate prices directly with publishers. Whether you are band 1 or band 10 the discount will remain the same and, with no recurrent platform/hosting fees, this is a guaranteed one-off purchasing decision.
Following two successful pilots with a small handful of publishers, the scheme is now a yearly service with nine publishers offering you over 100 products across arts, humanities and social sciences. Ranging from 15th century Dutch pamphlets to Colonial Africa, German literary expressionism to popular culture magazines, parliamentary papers to radical newspapers, anthropology to 20th century world history, we offer a wide range of topics to enrich learning, teaching and research in the UK.
How group purchasing works
We’ve made group purchasing as transparent and easy to use to encourage uptake across our members.
- Members automatically receive 20% off list price on products
- Discounts increase the more products are collectively bought from each publisher
- Publishers submit up to 20 products to the scheme yearly
- The scheme runs from November to July when final discounts are calculated
- Each publisher has an offer page on Jisc Collections
- Prices and discounts are clearly displayed once members have signed in
- Members order directly through Jisc Collections, and benefit from content being licensed under a Jisc model license
What you can do now
Do visit the group purchasing scheme page for more information https://www.jisc.ac.uk/digital-archival-collections-group-purchasing#
Or you can visit the individual offer page for each publisher on Jisc Collections:
- British Online Archives
- De Gruyter
- Irish Newspaper Archives
- Public Information Online
- Taylor & Francis
For a a more in-depth look at the scheme visit us on the Jisc stand at UKSG conference, 8-10 April 2019 [insert hyperlink to blog: https://www.jisc.ac.uk/events/jisc-at-uksg-annual-conference-and-exhibition-2019-08-apr-2019]
Join us for a series of upcoming webinars with the publishers where you can ask them about their products.
We look forward to working with you and creating even greater efficiencies for your organisations