The JISC Digitisation programme is coming to end and most projects have launched, or are about to, the digital resources created over the past couple of years.
What are the key issues that projects felt they would need support on during the development of their resources and what kind of support has JISC provided to projects?
Key issues signled out by projects at the outset of the programme:
– IPR and licencing
– evaluation methodologies
– metadata (technical and descriptive)
– marketing and publicity strategies
– digital preservation
– Quality Assurance
– Web search and delivery
– Incorporating Web 2.0
– Interface design
– creation of e-learning resources
Support activities offered to projects throughout the programme:
– workshops and training days
– ad hoc support through specialist consultants
– promoting knowledge sharing through meetings, group work, mentoring schemes, visits to each other’s projects, email discussions
– commissioned studies
– regular contact with JISC Programme Managers
In general, feedack from projetcs on these activities has been very positive, but it’s interesting to notice that the most consistent positive comment about such initiatives was the value of meeting other projects, networking, sharing ideas, issues and challenges, and on the whole the opportunity for discussion as part of a community of practice.