FREE 2 day workshops to be held in (follow links for registration)
• Belfast, 14 September 2010 – 15 September 2010
• Glasgow, 7th October 2010 – 8th October 2010
• London, 12th October 2010 – 13th October 2010
• Manchester, 28th October 2010 – 29th October 2010
• London, 16th November 2010 – 17th November 2010
These workshops address the importance issue of “search engine optimisation” and many related issues. Participants will gain a perspective on how basic guidelines, simple content planning, social media activities and use of metadata, all contribute to the effectiveness of a web site. The course is provided by the Strategic Content Alliance (SCA) and JISC Netskills.
• How to improve search and discovery of online resources
• An exploration of technologies such as HTML5 and CSS3
• Emerging search engine enhancements and techniques
• The importance of the semantic web and semantic mark-up
• Accessibility issues and access management
• Content integrity and reaching the right audience
• Metadata and its significance, particularly RDFa
• The use of social media including cloud and blog services
Who is it for?
This event is aimed primarily at participants from universities and higher education but is also of interest to those from archives, museums, health, public service broadcasting, schools and cultural heritage. No particular technical knowledge is required as a prerequisite.